Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bullinger and Philippians 1:21

Not only did Bullinger view human history from the standpoint of salvation history in which God’s covenant with mankind was integral but he also saw his own life in terms of God’s plans for his life. He truly lived according to Philippians 1:21. He recovered from the Black Death of 1564-1565 which claimed the lives of his wife, Anna, and his daughters Margaretha, Elizabeth and Anna (and some of there children). This is not to mention Blarer, Gessner, Froschauer and Bibliander.

While he was very weak his friends assured him of their prayers for him. To this, Bullinger replied:

“If the Lord will make any further use of me and of my ministry in his church, I shall willingly obey him; but if shall please (as I much desire) to take me out of this miserable life, I shall exceedingly rejoice; as I shall be delivered from a wretched age, to go to my Saviour Christ. Socrates was glad when his death approached; because, as he thought, he should go to Homer, Hesiod, and other learned men, whom he supposed he should meet in the other world. How much more do I rejoice, who am sure that I shall see my Saviour Christ, the saints, patriarchs, prophets, apostles, and all the holy men, who have lived from the beginning of the world. Since, I say, I am sure to see them, and partaker of their joys, why should I not willingly die, to be a sharer in their eternal society and glory.”

No comments:

Post a Comment